Case Studies<- Back to Case Studies
Media Relations, Issues Advocacy, Creative Promotions, Communications Planning, Community Outreach, Event Planning, Legislative Outreach, Message Development, Video Production
Cupcakes for Early Learning
MomsRising is mobilizing Washington families to ensure the state Legislature makes critical investments for our state in early learning programs, a fundamental part of our education system and our children's academic development. And why not put smiles on legislator’s faces at the same time?
Team Soapbox created unusual and eye catching media and outreach events with MomsRising during several Washington State legislative sessions to remind legislators not to cut early learning and care for our children when balancing the budget in Olympia.
- Project Cupcake: We sprinkled our legislators with a little sweetness by surprising each and every legislator with a cupcake decorated by kids. The goal was to remind them that early learning is not simply “frosting on the cake,” but a vital part of every child’s overall education.
- We created a life-size Chutes & Ladders game for toddlers to play with legislators that contained early learning messages; held a dance party in the Capitol Rotunda with 100 toddlers grooving to the well-loved band Caspar Babypants; and installed full-sized paper dolls of local kids with early learning messages around the Capitol grounds in Olympia and beyond.
- Each year, the events caught the attention and imagination of legislators who were voting on the budget and bills, brought MomsRising’s messages home, and garnered broadcast and print media coverage on Q13 Fox News, The Olympian, KOMO Communities, KIRO Radio, and more.
- The Governor has signed five bills for early learning and the legislature has maintained funding for early learning programs during this period.
- Washington state received a federal Race to The Top Challenge Grant to improve child care and fund early learning programs and MomsRising’s voice was heard on how to allocate the funds.